The mission of the Raleigh Historic Development Commission is to identify, preserve, protect, and promote Raleigh’s historic resources.
Late Nineteenth Century,1866-1899
The chapel is one of the oldest surviving buildings on Saint Augustine's campus. Students built the irregular T-shaped chapel of native granite under the direction of Rev. Henry Beard Delany.
Holladay Hall has an irregular H-shape with a three-story main pavilion flanked by two-and-one-half-story gable-roofed wings. It employs both Classical and Romanesque details.
The City of Raleigh erected this octagonal brick tower to house its water supply in 1887; the structure included an attached two-story office building.
In 1886, this two-story frame farmhouse stood on ten acres well beyond the city limits.
The office of Alfred B. Mullet, supervising architect of the United States Treasury Department, designed what was to be the first federal project in North Carolina following the Civil War.
Estey Hall was the first structure built for the higher education of African American women in the United States and is the oldest surviving building on the Shaw University campus. Designed by G.
An urban-based industrial complex two blocks north of the 1881 city limits, the mill buildings and accompanying worker housing mirrored those of rural mill sites. James and William H.
Caraleigh Mills is the largest of the six textile mills built in Raleigh.
This structure stands as a relatively rare example of late-nineteenth-century industrial architecture in Raleigh, a city that has always been a government, education, and market center rather than
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Click to reset all the filters and start a new search.
Refine Your Search
Displaying Landmarks For
- Period : Late Nineteenth Century,1866-1899
Raleigh Historic Landmarks (RHLs)
City Council designated the newest landmark on October 7 and scheduled a joint public hearing between Raleigh City Council and RHDC for November 5 at 7:00 p.m. to hear public comments regarding a historic landmark application and request for de-designation....READ MORE
Historic Overlay Districts (HODs)
Read our latest newsletter
Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs)
The City's new UDO took effect September 1. With that comes a few process changes for Major Work COA Applications and an updated application form. Check out the COA process page on the City's website for more information. New! Approved Minor Work applications available on City web portal here.