Our Mission

The mission of the Raleigh Historic Development Commission is to identify, preserve, protect, and promote Raleigh’s historic resources.

Quick Links

• Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)

 

• Design Review and Guidelines

 

Next COA Major Work Deadline:
4:00 pm on September 14

 

Contact Us

National Register (NR) News

2011

 Longview Gardens is Raleigh’s largest mid-20th-century custom residential subdivision and features the work of several notable architects and landscape architects. Located one-and-a-half miles east of downtown, it developed over a series of three phases: 1938-1940, 1948, and 1959. Its architectural styles reflect this progression, with the earlier homes embracing the Colonial and Tudor Revival styles, followed by the popular post-war Ranch and Split Level styles.

The Rochester Heights Historic District, with a period of significance from 1957 to 1964, was built as one of only a handful of post-World War II subdivisions planned for and open to the black community in the city, original property owners included physicians, educators, builders, business owners, general laborers, retired military personnel and government agency employees. The district contains a highly intact collection of several variations of Ranch and Split-Level modern architecture, styles of both national and local importance in the post World War II time period. The Ranch was the primary new house type which gained in popularity after the War, and the Split Level style was popular in Raleigh beginning in 1955, with many examples from this time period still extant.

Battery Heights is one of four mid-20th-century subdivisions in Raleigh built for African Americans during segregation. Located southeast of downtown and primarily developed between 1956 and 1964, it features a highly intact collection of post-World War II homes. Houses sit on landscaped lots ranging in size from ¼ to one acre and are set back from wide streets that follow a grid pattern.

The Hi-Mount Historic District is an 11-block residential area just north of Downtown Raleigh that is roughly bounded by East Whitaker Mill Road and Bernard, Peebles, Mial and Hilton streets. The subdivision was originally platted in 1938 and currently contains 152 homes and a neighborhood park. While the district’s historical development spanned World War II, most of its construction occurred following the war to meet housing demand, especially in suburban areas. The neighborhood has a well-preserved collection of minimal traditional-style houses.

 


 

Raleigh Historic Landmarks (RHLs)

On September 5, Raleigh City Council held a joint public hearing with RHDC regarding 4 proposed new Raleigh Historic Landmarks. READ MORE

Historic Overlay Districts (HODs)

The Glenwood-Brooklyn National Register District has become the 1st HOD-Streetside.  READ MORE

 

DejaNews

Read our latest newsletter

Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs)

Deadline dates for the 2017 COA meetings have changed!  The revised schedule and deadlines document has been posted here.